Thursday, November 8, 2012

Back to normal life





There aren't many circumstances in which you celebrate the first week with children at new schools as a "normal" week. This is one of them.

First day at School
We never imagined Reuben would adjust so easily to a new school. It certainly took him a lot longer in Cameroon. On Monday he went in to his new class without a backward look. At the end of the day I asked him if he knew anyone else in his class and he said "I know everyone". I looked surprised, so he clarified "I didn't this morning but I do now".


Miriam is also happy at Little Steps preschool, although I think she'd jump at the chance of being at  school with Reuben if she could. She is delighted to be able to do ballet, especially since it involves pink frills.


Naomi, having got over the after effects of her last general anesthetic, is also settling down to a more normal routine.  She has figured out night and day. Not that she feeds any less frequently in the night, but she sleeps in between. In the day time she moves mercurially between being awake and perky, grizzling and cat napping. She doesn't usually sleep for more than about 10 minutes unless she's being held, pushed or driven. Apart from stitches, a tube under her skin and a few extra medical check ups, you wouldn't know she'd been through anything out of the ordinary. Oh, and the wrinkly skin and 'tectonic plates' on her head as the bones overlap slightly now that her head is so much smaller compared to before.

Tim has a busy few weeks ahead of him (and by extension I will too). He will be in Cameroon next week, then will commute to London for a week, spend a week in Turkey, then spend a final week in Cameroon. Then he'll have some leave and do some internal temping in London until we go to Istanbul in February. I'm hoping that this blog will return to being updated only occasionally from now, as life becomes relatively uneventful until we move to Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment