Wednesday, September 10, 2014

How to save on shopping in Istanbul...

The first few times I went to school from our new apartment I got a lift from strangers who pulled up beside us in order to give us a lift. The first time it was from an Azeri Mother and daughter, who were also on their way to school. The second time it was from a Turkish man and his 5 year old daughter, who turned out to be married to the Italian Consul - Tim's counterpart! There may be about 15 million people living in this city, but Ortakoy is somehow still like the village it once was and there's only one degree of separation among 'expats'.

This morning we walked to the shops to buy some basics. It's now walking distance for Naomi too, so no carrier or pushchair needed (in our old apartment I would have avoided going out at all because of the steps and steep slope). One of the many people who stopped to talk to Naomi as we walked was an old lady, bent over, carrying a couple of bags with a couple of eggs cradled in her hands. After a bit of chatting she (Ayse) asked if she could buy Naomi a biscuit, so we turned round and went to the shop together. She asked Naomi which biscuit she wanted and Naomi said "Nomi buying egg" (I've now become Naomi's 'translator' - I can translate anything Naomi can say but I won't be able to keep up for long). So Ayse got Naomi an egg and gave it to her to carry (he he! - very trusting). Naomi said Dangoo (thank you) and the Ayse was over the moon because she thought she'd said Tesekkurler (thank you in Turkish). I went round the ship to pick up the handful of things on my list, then the lady insisted on paying for the whole lot, as well as Naomi's egg and a chocolate bar! We walked back along the street together (with Naomi carrying an egg and having bites of a melting chocolate bar) and Asye showed us where she lives. I was glad that it was before the bakery, otherwise I wouldn't have bought bread in case it turned out she was paying again. She asked us to wait at the door and a few minutes later called us from her balcony and dropped some 'trousers for Naomi' (or actually there are trousers for Naomi and shorts which will fit Reuben and Miriam - who weren't with me!). We went on our way with full hands, but not so full that I couldn't find a way to quietly take the egg and hide the chocolate bar. The next time Asye has said we must come tea :).  

1 comment: