We could hear music on the road below us. After going down the improbably steep hill (surely no car would ever dare to drive on the gravelly steep bit they just spent ages surfacing) we discovered the opening of an art gallery!
So we sat down and spent a chilled afternoon listening to music, looking at paintings and sculptures and chatting.
We still can't quite believe that there's an art gallery in such an inprobable place. I was really tempted too, but we didn't even have enough money to buy the bananas the children were eyeing up.
There was a second artist there, painting tshirts for sale. Reuben's was delighted that he let him do some of the painting.
At one point someone called him off to talk to him. After a few minutes the artist suddenly remembered that he'd left a 3 year old with a squeezy tube of paint and a half painted tshirt and came back looking a bit worried.
Luckily I realised that I should stop taking photos and suggest that Reuben should take a break from blobbing red paint on the shirt.
Several hours later we returned home without even needing to go past the big ditch (he has been asking since to go and listen to the music again). You really don't ever know what to expect in Yaounde!
I saw my old house (or at least close to it...) and it made me cry! I would have loved to do all of that! How fun! I even miss that silly steep hill and the "WHEEEEEEEEE" it always evoked from the kiddies! :)
ReplyDelete