Reuben trotted into the classroom and gave Tim a cheery wave good bye this morning. We couldn't believe the transformation in him.
However, when I picked him up it turned out that he hadn't been impressed at having to sit down and listen to the teacher or do anything remotely structured. He cried a lot! Whenever he played or went to the playground he was very happy - this is a big step forward from where he would have been a few months ago, but still a long way to go! I haven't got much of a feel for how structured the classroom time is. I don't think it is excessively structured. I told him it would be fun when he got used to it. He said, "I have got used to it and it isn't"! Prudensia (our housekeeper) asked him what he learnt at School and he said "nothing - to cry"! However, he did try to teach Miriam to say "un deux trois", "A demain" and "au revoir" at various points in the afternoon.
He was very cheery for the rest of the day, played Schools with Miriam and mostly continued his former excited way of talking about School as a theoretical concept.
I can hear him in bed now chanting "Au Flamboyant", in the way that they did at the carnival. I don't think it will be as easy to leave him in the classroom tomorrow, but he will get used to it eventually!
Unlike his mum's first week, snow won't result in the school closing for a week!
ReplyDelete