Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The night before the operation


Naomi continues to do well, with the normal ups and downs of new born babyhood. She had a very good night on Tuesday night, after a difficult day the day before which turned out to be down to wind! When Naomi has an off day/night it’s hard to know whether it’s just a normal new born baby off day or whether the hydrocephalus is causing her a problem, although it has always turned out to be normal baby issues. That’s when it’s good that she’s being monitored and that there is a Doctor on hand to check her out. One of the downsides of her being tethered by cables to a hospital cot is that it seriously cuts down on the options for settling her. I really longed to put her in her pushchair and take her for a walk in the sun yesterday. I’m sure that would have settled her and got her off to sleep, quite apart from being enjoyable for me, as I’ve not been straying far in the last week either. I did make it as far as Southampton Common with the kids the other day, straight after a feed whilst Naomi was asleep, but got a phone call when we were there because Naomi was crying.

I hope it won’t be too long until we’re doing that kind of thing. She has surgery on Thursday morning, then about a week of monitoring to see if the surgery has taken effect. If it has, then we should be back home after that. If not, then there will be another round of surgery. The second round of surgery, should that be necessary, would be pretty much sure to work, but would have to be redone at some point in later years.

The staff at the hospital have all been lovely. They’ve worked really hard to make it as easy as possible for me to be the one caring for Naomi and for me to stay here so that she can be purely breastfed. I have a room down the corridor from the nursery, and get a phonecall or knock on the door when Naomi cries. It’s a shame to have more weeks of living away from Tim, Reuben and Miriam, but at least I know they’re completely capable of managing, and they have lots of support from family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment