Saturday, March 9, 2013

OK, so full steam was a bit too fast!

I've been too busy to blog so here are some brief highlights/moments since the last one.

I 'helped' with our church's refugee project. I chatted with some Congolese women (in French). Whilst it seems like we have something in common, having just arrived in Istanbul with our children, our lives couldn't be more different. They've come fleeing difficult situations and have no job and little support. We're so limited in how we can help them, and I had to leave for Miriam's pick up just as it was getting going. I think I'm going to look again at joining in once Miriam is doing full days.

My bible study group is an amazing group of women from 6 continents in which I feel very at home. In a way it feels like an extension of my group in Yaounde which was ever changing but always an anchor.

On my birthday we wandered in the sun through the back streets down to the Bosphorus, then had a play in the playground and a lovely seafood meal (photos on facebook).

We enjoyed church again, followed by a monthly meal. I helped someone who'd been here less long than us make some useful contacts - you don't get long as the freshest arrivals in places like this. From the veranda of the upper room we had a great view over the Golden Horn (including the blue mosque and Haggia Sofia). I've also noticed there's a point where I can see them on the school run.

Tim went to Ankara last week and Athens this week. Next week he'll go to Ankara and Antalya, Rome the following week and then Fetiye, Bodrum and Marmaris (we'll join in with a bit of this). Then theoretically the travelling will slow down, although he's just said there's a possibility of Rome again...

I discovered Rosetta Stone for learning languages. It's amazing and strangely addictive. I was feeling bad for not having made more effort with learning Turkish, so I steamed through the lessons. It's amazing how much you can learn this way. Then we had a long busy day, followed by a bad night and I was exhausted, so I've had to ban myself from filling in the quiet moments with language learning. That same morning I was called to pick Reuben up early from school because of a stomach ache. After a bit of exploration I discovered that his teacher had given him a map of Central Vienna as an example, so that he could draw a map. His stomach hurt because he was stressed about trying to copy it street by street. We sorted that one out, and are both taking it easier!

Naomi and Miriam get a lot of attention every time we go out - more so than in Cameroon. Today at the supermarket one of the cashiers was delighted to see us back and he beckoned us over to his empty queue. I hesitated because he had a sign saying express, he took it off and hid it! I've been keeping a tally of what the kids have been given by strangers. So far I think it's: chocolate biscuits (twice), a banana, a toy mobile phone, an enormous balloon, some bagel, some nuts and a free ride in a taxi! On one of those occasions Miriam had a drawing with her and (with a little prompting) delighted a man by giving it to him. On all the other occasions a smile was clearly more than enough in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment