It's been so long since I wrote a blog post, I wasn't sure I'd remember how to log on! I thought I'd share a bit as we restart lockdown.
A key priority the day before lockdown was “stockpiling” library books for the children. Thankfully, a kind of stockpiling that makes librarians happy. To squeeze this in, I had to drive to Andover, park in a layby for a skype meeting, then dash in and out.
That afternoon, a colleague and I facilitated a support group on zoom. I’d helped most of the groups I work with to have their get togethers on line many months ago, and this one has been a while coming. It was poignant, as they'd not seen each other for 8 months. There was lots of laughter and smiles, but also some sadness as some learnt about two members who had died since their last meeting. I’m thankful for all those volunteers who are bringing people together, and keeping in touch with those who'd otherwise be isolated.
This was followed by a meeting with volunteers on zoom, putting on pause plans to get people together in person. That felt a bit flat, but I hope it won’t be too long before we can reinstate them.
Miriam collected Naomi from school, and all of the children dived into the bag of books, leaving them scattered across the floor as they rushed off to read the ones they’d chosen, with even Reuben pleased at some of my choices. The library trip felt worth while already.
I had an email that afternoon, asking me to sing for the hastily rearranged remembrance service, to be recorded that evening for our church’s You Tube channel (it's now here). The Remembrance service is always poignant, particularly hearing the names of those who died in the first and second world wars from our little town.
In the UK, we were allowed up to 6 people singing in church – everyone else had to hum! I quite enjoy singing in a small group, although preferably with some rehearsal time 😊. It was good to get in one last service, before they are no longer allowed. It seemed appropriate that we sang a version of “The Lord’s my Shepherd” which I remember singing in our apartment in Istanbul, one Sunday morning, which I think was the time when our chapel was barricaded by riot police, and we had to meet for church services in our homes - does anyone from homegroup remember?
Today, I had a delivery of music, ready for our carol service, in the hope that it can take place. I'll enjoy practicing for that in the coming month.
Although there are some things which we have to stop doing for this lockdown, we're fortunate that our children are still able to go to school, and our work goes on (my job is safe for 2020, although who knows about 2021). There are also things we'll get the chance to do which we wouldn't normally fit in. I feel for those for whom it's devastating.
This could be a good (if belated) time to share Miriam's project on how people coped with lockdown back in the spring.
A huge thank you again to all of you who contributed to her survey. So many people had thought deeply about their experiences, and shared so movingly. She had intended to do a PowerPoint presentation, but she'd learnt so much, that she ended up writing an essay too, and because that was a bit long for most people to read, a shorter piece for a collection of young people's writing about lockdown. Appropriately, the project was what helped her get through that time.
I wish you all the best, in the bumpy ride of 2020. xxx

Your Grandpas Alex and Norman served in WW2 and 3 great great uncles were killed in WW1 and an uncle in WW2. I’m glad Miriam and Naomi stress the need to work for peace! Both your grannies would have been impressed re the library books!
ReplyDelete