We’re finally in Rome. For those who don’t know, Tim will be
Regional Consular Director for Southern Europe. I had to move jobs too, but was
pleased to find a new challenge. I’ll be working remotely (for the most part)
leading on evaluation of work in churches in the UK in deprived areas, with
young people and with different communities.
Our apartment isn’t yet ready, so we’re currently bang in
the middle of Rome, with quite a view...
As I write, there’s a lovely hubbub from people in the next building enjoying drinks with friends on the roof terrace which is in the foreground of the photo.
The obvious routes for my run go round the Coliseum and Roman Forum. I had thought that it might be too hot to run, but it has been quieter, greener and shadier than I’d expected.
Our first few days have been like a mini break, exploring, meals out, gelatos and the Embassy pool.
N has also managed to meet four girls from her year and is busy on Whatsapp with two of them, planning a surprise birthday party for a third. It’s good for her to have such a lovely welcome, since the change is most challenging for her.
This morning, we went to a Methodist church by Ponte Sant’Angelo and walked back along the Tiber. We sang a Caribbean song that we’ve not sung in church since our wedding (Halle, Halle, Halle), so we’ll definitely go again.We’re making a start on the bits and pieces of living in
another country – dealing with the internet connection cutting out (crisis),
learning (through making mistakes) what not to buy, making use of a few Italian
words (with bits of Spanish, Turkish and even Kinyarwanda popping out when
we’re not concentrating) and working out how to put out the bins.
Reality is about to hit – in the next two days, Tim and I
start new jobs and the girls start at their new school. R gets another three
weeks of hanging out in Rome before heading back for Uni. We’ll have a couple
of “normal” weeks, then we’ll see how the other part of our rhythm of being here
will work for everyone – I’ll be attending meetings in Westminster for 2 Mondays
every 6 weeks and Tim will be away for one week in three (with visits to Madrid,
Crete, Istanbul and London lined up so far).





Lucky you. Enjoy being in Rome
ReplyDelete