It turns out that starting two new jobs and new school in one week, in a new country, is quite full on. Who'd have thought it! We continue to enjoy living life with a backdrop of ancient monuments and innumerable fountains, now mixed with the practicalities of work, school and a long to do list. In contrast, R has two more weeks of chilling out in Rome before going back to Uni.
The girls have found their school really welcoming. They were talking tonight about how amazing it that everyone in their classes is lovely. M has a close friend who is Italian, N’s closest friend is Kenyan. Others are Bangladeshi, Indian, Canadian, French, Hungarian, Bulgarian, British and they aren't sure what other nationalities. One friend has 4 nationalities. M in particular has enjoyed the way that students in class talk enthusiastically about the subjects they are studying - including her class of "maths nerds". She has around around 10 students in most classes, but in music it's just her and the teacher!
Adapting and dealing with the uncertainties of being in a new country and school has had its challenges. It has taken some determination from N to get there on the school bus and get through the days. It has taken a fair amount from us too, particularly Tim. On Friday, she didn't make it to the bus - a train strike meant that we went by taxi. I then got lots of language practice on the return journey, centred around which trains were cancelled, which might actually come and the lack of alternatives. It took me 4 hours!
We've been dashing out to expensive corner shops every few days, and figured it was time to order an online shop this weekend. I pasted in our address. Our street name is wonderfully ornate - Via Tribune della Tor di Specchi (Street of the Roman official of the tower of mirrors). I don't think it all fitted in the space for the street name. When the time came, the delivery person phoned to ask where we were. There's something about phone calls - I spewed out a strange mix of Italian and Turkish. I then ran down three flights of stairs, saying “momento”, and handed the phone to the bemused doorman.
When we unpacked, we discovered that I'd made a mistake in ordering - there were 8kg of nectarines, not 8! The children were delighted, and I’m confident that they will rise to the challenge!
| Miriam and Naomi's school bus stop is at Teatro di Marcello |
| We realised on Sunday that Miriam hadn't yet been to the Coliseum. We put that right with an evening wander |
No comments:
Post a Comment