Monday, December 7, 2009

Storytime (goodbye to the Hendriksens part 4 - their last day)

Emily used to do a weekly storytime (stories, songs, activities and snacks). On her last day we discovered that other Mums can do it too - phew! Kate hosted a snow themed morning. We had stories and songs about snow...
then made snow (out of toilet paper, grated soap and water)
Claire loved ripping up toilet paper but then protested "Don't get my toilet paper wet!"

We ate snow themed snacks - marshmallows, rice pudding (although I somehow managed to forget to put sugar in it so it was more rice than pudding), rice cakes, popcorn and pringles. I had tried cutting snowflakes out of tortillas, but they fell apart along the folds. It's definitely the Mums who have fun with the challenge of themed snack time. The theme passes the kids by at this point, they just tuck in as if they've not eaten for a week.
Us Mums then had a quick trip to a jewelery exhibition, leaving most of the children and a handful of nannies at my house on the way. We bought a necklace as a goodbye gift for Emily.

It turned out to be a less of a quick trip than we'd expected and more of a suitably African experience for Emily's last day. Rosemary got pecked by a parrot... her son John got bitten by a rabbit and was rushed off to the clinic for a rabies vaccination. The rest of us left after 20 minutes, a little surprised that we'd be back as quickly as we'd promised, to discover that the roads had been blocked for the President to drive through. Mellow, Emily and I had all forgotten our phones so couldn't let anyone know where we were. Kate and Kendra had to ask other people to pick their children up from School. It sometimes takes hours and we were told that the President hadn't left the centre of town yet. The roads were just blocked in preparation. I got plenty of practise at turning our new car as we tried, and failed, to find another route and to use diplomatic plates as a way through. We parked the car and started a very hot walk home. Of course, as we approached the roadblocks they were lifted and I headed back to collect the car. At least I didn't decide to take photos of the queued up traffic, or I could probably have added being arrested to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment